First corner


Race Reports For The 2001 Season.
Round 2 
Mallory Park, Sunday April 8th, 13 Laps

Eagling again.

Daniel Eagling dominated round 2 of the championship at Mallory Park on 8th April. Having set a pole position time which suggested that he might break the lap record in the afternoon, Eagling shook off Peter Clark to win by almost 8 seconds with Peter Richings a further 5 seconds adrift. Fastest lap also went to Eagling although the afternoon's persistent drizzle prevented him from approaching his qualifying time. 
The clouds had been gathering for some time before the cars were called to the collecting area and the first spots of drizzle appeared as the slick shod field left on the parade lap. At the green light the track still appeared to be dry but if anything the drizzle was changing to light rain. Two laps into the race Willie Patterson got his Vision on the grass along Kirkby Straight and then span back into the path of Mike Luck whose Dart lost a wheel in the ensuing heavy collision. This incident caused the red flag to be deployed and the race shortened from 15 to 13 laps. Patterson and Luck were joined as non-starters by James Lindley who, caught out by a group of cars in front of him slowing for the red flag, span into the barrier at Lake Esses. 
The re-started race then continued without further incident with the top six being completed by Clive Woodward, Tim Covill and Howard Payne. Tim was delighted with his EBX and demonstrated that, whatever else, this bodywork wasn't slowing his Mallock Mk27 at all. Ian Mitchell ("8th, I've qualified 8th?") and Phil Weaver in his soon to be EBX bodied Mallock Mk30 filled the next two places. Tony Pouyanne (Silver Phantom) and Paul Freeman (Ardmore FR95B) were next over the line, less than a second apart followed into 11th place by a lonely Arthur Dickens. The last three unlapped runners, Neil Bevan, Peter Burnham and Brian Jordan finished with just a second covering them - the same second that had covered them for much of the race. 
One lap down were Alan Avery, Marcus Bicknell, Chris Burnham and Paul Dawson. The only non-finisher was Jamie Champkin who had only completed his winter rebuild in the small hours of the morning. Feeling that all might not be well with the car he wisely dropped out after 8 laps. 
The only other runner on the day was John Kelly, whose run of bad luck continues. Having quickly got down to the mid 49s after just 4 laps of practice, John's Mallock Mk 27/28 snapped to the left under braking for Shaw's Hairpin and deposited him solidly against the barrier leaving him with no option to withdraw from the race. 
(Brian Jordan)