First corner


Race Reports For The 2005 Season.
Round 6 
Oulton Park, Saturday June 4th, 10 Laps

Evans puts local knowledge to good effect.

Mike Evans showed his championship potential at Oulton Park, with his second win of the year.

16 cars set out for qualifying under darkening skies for round six of this years championship. Evans not only secured pole, but his Mallock was inside Matthew Slinn's two year old lap record. "I was quite surprised to be so far ahead of the others," he said. Howard Payne's Mallock shared the front row, "I think Mike made us all look silly," said Payne at his 1.328secs deficit. Defending Champion and this years points topper Barry Webb was down in third. "I thought I was slower than that, I just can't get Cascades right," he said. Paul Freeman's Ardmore was next up, while Guy Parr headed row three with his Mallock running in Liverpool FC colours in celebration of their recent Champions League Final success. Guy is season ticket holder. "It's left me a bit to do in the race hasn't it?" said Peter Richings, as he lined up alongside Parr.

The Mallocks of Des Andrews and Clive Fidgeon were on the fifth row, with Jamie Champkin (Phantom) and Ian Crombie (Mallock) completing the top ten.

Evans was late onto the grid after his ignition locked out. But in true Clubmans style, his rivals rallied round and got him out in time. Evans made a better than usual start, but it still wasn't enough to outrun Payne into Old Hall. Into Lodge Payne outbraked himself and Evans sailed into the lead, with Webb and Freeman in line astern behind the recovering Payne.

Freeman, Parr, Richings and Andrews made it a seven car break on lap two, with Fidgeon trying to stay in touch. Behind though Champkin and Crombie were having an entertaining duel with numerous exchanges.

By the end of lap four Webb had slipped back in third and Andrews had lost touch with the top seven. But at the front Payne was still inches from Evans rear wing. "I made a mid-race mistake and it allowed Mike to get away," said Payne. Webb and Freeman retained their race long third and fourth, but Parr was almost caught on the line by the charging Richings. "I had to defend from Paul, so it gave me no real chance to attack," said Webb. With Andrews and Fidgeon retaining seventh and eighth, Champkin just got the verdict over Crombie for ninth, in a dash for the line.

Alex Osborne had exhaust problems in the morning but held on for 11th. The Mallocks of Marcus Bicknell, Vaughan Thomas, John Palmer, Simon Kelly and Peter Burnham completed the finishers, with "Luciano Gofastio" the only retirement.

The next round is at Croix en Ternois on July 3rd/4th.